Hydration Tips for Seniors:
- Encourage 8 oz. of fluid intake every time the senior takes medication.
- Keep water bottles and/or a water cooler available throughout the day wherever the senior is (for example, in bed, or throughout the house.)
- Offer fluids on a regular basis throughout the day.
- Provide favorite “mocktail” concoctions or your senior’s favorite beverages (make sure they’re not alcoholic or caffeinated).
Example Mocktails: Strawberry & Coconut Water-
- 1 Cup of fresh coconut water
- 1 Cup sliced strawberries
- 3 T of agave nectar
Cucumber Lemonade with Basil-
- 1 Cucumber
- 3 C Water
- 3 Lemons
- 3 T Sugar
- 1 Small bunch of basil
- 1 C Soda water
**Elk Horn Farmer's Market is every Saturday until September at 9am to 11am - located at the Danish Windmill Senior Dehydration Health issues:
- Dehydration can accelerate or bring about emergency hospitalization and/or increase the risk of hospital stays
- Dehydration has been associated with increased mortality rates among older adults
- Dehydration has been associated with many elderly health issues, including elderly confusion, impaired cognition, falling and constipation
- Dehydration is a frequent cause of hospitalization of older adults and one of the ten most frequent diagnoses responsible for hospitalization in the U.S.